Monday, May 19, 2014

The Senior Project Outlines

The idea for the senior project is to install an iPad mini into the dashboard of the Audi to control the radio and provide GPS and whatever information I want since I can tether it to use the data that my phone does - so I have access to the internet wherever I have service; I won't just be restricted to using wifi.

Sort of like this:



And I had thought about having the iPad control the HVAC: the ac, heating etc... But this got fairly complicated. If you think about it, the ipad has one or two ports - a 3.5mm port for audio and a little 8 pin Lightning connecter to charge it. So I would have to build an adapter for either one of those ports and then connect five or six harnesses of wires (each harness has about 10-12 wires in it) to the adapter and on top of that I would need to create my own interface on the Ipad to change any of the settings, or the temperature of the ac or heating - it would require me to learn a whole new language of programming (probably on CodeX) and for that I would certainly need to start before the designated slot of two weeks for the senior project so I just didn't think it was going to be possible.
Lightning connector.svg
 So I compromised with myself to install a new audio system to replace the stock bose system - which I thought might be a little challenging as things get a little more complicated as there is a huge box of 500 lbs. of lithium ion cells in the back of a little sports car that takes up about 75% of the space I have, and blocks access to just about everything in the car except the front seats and everything in the area of the dashboard. And I need to install another screen to show the required information to drive an electric car: Amperage (charge and discharge), voltage, range of batteries, battery temp, motor temp, tachometer (motor speed), speedometer, individual cell information that can be provided from the Orion BMS that came with the flux cells. This screen we acquired from our friends over at Andromeda interfaces:




So here's the outline:

  • Speakers
    • Amp wiring
    • Door Speakers
    • Larger speakers for the back
  • iPad Installation
    • includes the new head unit
    • custom made dashboard for the iPad
  • Andromeda Installation
Not to mention to actually get the car running - it needs a whole lot more work, and those I just consider to be little side projects; like getting the car passed through inspection, and getting it ready for registration etc., and a lot of other little projects

No comments:

Post a Comment