Monday, May 19, 2014

A little History

So nearly five years ago I had an idea to make a car similar to the one found in this video "The World's Fastest Lotus?", basically to take a lotus (my favorite car), strip it of all extraneous weight and then super and turbo charge the engine. Due to a bunch of complications, I couldn't exactly do that so the project changed directions towards a hybrid car.



I still wanted the car to look pretty cool though, so my father and I drove down to Virginia for this 1967 Lamborghini Miura shell that was mounted on a 1969 Giulia Sprint GT chassis and I didn't think that would take the weight of 800 lbs. of (back then I was planning on installing lead acid batteries which was a huge mistake) lead acid batteries; so I mounted the Miura onto an s10 chassis (we drove to Maine for that) -which is why in this picture, the body is raised so high from the ground.



And since this original idea was for a hybrid, we needed an engine.



I liked the concept of a motorcycle engine: it was small, compact, and had about the same power as an average Volkswagen. But because of conflicting forces (the motor would be pushing against the engine and I don't exactly have access to the technology that real car manufacturers have, it wasn't going to work) we had to put that idea to rest and so began the electric car project.

Well, after a few more months of struggling with the red car (there were too many complications - as you can see from the picture, there is literally nothing besides the shell of the car), we eventually had to ditch that idea too and get another car.


And this is how we got to where we are today. We picked up an Audi TT from Connecticut, bought 180Ah Lithium Ion cells from Flux Power for a 144v system and used the motor we had originally bought for the hybrid idea from a company called Motenergy.





No comments:

Post a Comment